Universal Access in Historic Buildings
Preservation and Accessibility Slide Show
Report on Village Task Force for Promoting Access: Providing Universal Access in Oak Park
Accessibility Services Offered in the Village
Accessible Places in Downtown Oak Park
Accessible Places in the Avenue-Lake Plaza Shopping District
Accessible Restaurants in Oak Park
List of Universal Access Award Winners 1998-2002
800 Telephone Numbers
Access Checklist for Existing Buildings
The Oak Park Universal Access Commission was created to advise the Village in its efforts to facilitate full participation in community activities by its disabled residents, to bring disabled persons into the mainstream of Oak Park life by recognizing that disabled persons can lead proud and productive lives, to promote Universal Access throughout the Village, and to heighten public awareness.
DUTIES OF THE UNIVERSAL ACCESS COMMISSION:
2. Recommend to the Village Board the removal of physical barriers to disabled access to Village-owned property and buildings and provide advisory assistance to the Department of Code Enforcement in the removal of such barriers.
3. Cooperate with and provide support to other Village commissions, committees, task forces, and departments in their efforts to facilitate and promote Universal Access.
4. Provide advice to any entity in the Village which seeks assistance from the Commission on how to better serve the needs of the disabled beyond minimal requirements of the law.
5. Identify appropriate respite care agencies in Oak Park and, with prior Village approval, make this information available to the public.
6. Develop and present to the Village a plan to increase awareness in both the public and private sector regarding the rights and abilities of disabled persons.
7. Work with the Manager's office to establish seminars and workshops that promote public awareness of accessibility issues.
8. Establish and carry out a program to recognize excellence in providing access to disabled persons within the Village which will make the public aware of businesses and institutions which are accessible,
9. Create a Guidebook to accessible facilities, programs and activities in Oak Park, which Guidebook may be made available to the public with the approval of the Village Board.
10. Work with the Public Works Department to develop and maintain a safe route map showing the location of all accessible public paths of travel in Oak Park, which map may be made available to the public with the approval of the Village Board.
11. Advise appropriate Village staff on accessibility requirements, as requested.
12. Evaluate the accessibility of buildings and services within the Village and encourage appropriate Village Code Department staff to initiate staff communication with building owners and/or managers regarding the insufficiency of accessibility in their buildings.
13. Promote additional participation
on the Commission by disabled persons and disability service providers in
2001 Awards Program
2002 Awards Program
Building Code Amendment promoting more accessible housing in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois
Building Code Amendment on not allowing the keying of platform lifts in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois
Building Code Amendment concerning design of single user toilet rooms in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois
Building Code Amendment concerning design of service counters in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois
Building Code Amendment concerning requirements for accessibility features required when buildings are remodeled in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois
Click here to access the West Suburban Access News Association website